IELTS Speaking Part 2: describe a market
Describe an open-air or street market which you enjoyed visiting. You should say:
- where the market is
- what the market sells
- how big the market is
- and explain why you enjoyed visiting it.
· I’m going to describe a street market that I’ve enjoyed visiting many times in Manchester. It’s the Manchester Christmas Market, and it comes to the city for about a month from the end of November every year. The market stalls are spread across several sites in the city centre, but the centrepiece is the large European market in Albert Square next to the Town Hall.
· The Christmas Market stalls sell an array of Christmas gifts and mouth-watering food and drink from all over Europe. It’s a great place to find handmade crafts such as jewellery, ornaments, wooden toys and other souvenirs, but it’s the food and drink that seem to be most popular. Probably the biggest seller is the ‘Gluhwein’, a hot, sweet wine which is sold in a souvenir mug.
· The market was originally quite small, occupying just one of the central squares in Manchester, but it’s grown quickly in recent years, spilling over into maybe five other pedestrian streets and a few other squares. Apparently there are over 200 stalls now, so it’s become a really big event attracting thousands of visitors.
· The main reason I’ve always enjoyed visiting the Christmas Market is the fantastic atmosphere. When I went there last December, it didn’t matter how cold or wet the weather was, Manchester seemed to come alive when the market opened; the streets were bustling with people and there was a real festive feel to the city.