IELTS Speaking Part 2: describe a conversation
Describe an interesting conversation you had with someone you didn't know. You should say
- who the person was
- where the conversation took place
- what you talked about
- and explain why you found the conversation interesting.
· I’m going to talk about an interesting conversation that I had a couple of weeks ago in a music shop. I was walking along one of the main shopping streets in the city centre, when a large window displaying all sorts of musical instruments caught my eye. Out of curiosity, I decided to go in and have a look around.
· The person I ended up speaking to was a shop assistant on the second floor, in the area of the shop dedicated to acoustic guitars. I hadn’t intended to speak to anyone, but the assistant approached me in a friendly way and asked whether I had any questions.
· I explained to the assistant that I hadn’t played the guitar for years, but that I wondered what the differences were between the various acoustic guitars on show. He talked to me about the different makes and models, whether they were factory or hand made, the woods and varnishes used, the variation in sound quality, and of course the price range.
· I found the conversation fascinating because the shop assistant was so knowledgeable. It was obvious that he had a passion for the guitar, and he didn’t mind talking to me even though I had made it clear that I didn’t intend to buy anything. He even picked up and played three or four of the instruments to demonstrate the differences in their sound.
- caught my eye
- out of curiosity
- I ended up (+ing)
- dedicated to
- I hadn't intended to.....
- approached me
- I wondered what..... were
- the various..... on show
- the snow is what differentiates winter from the other seasons
- the landscape looks beautiful